Trainer Ratio: 1 Trainer to 12 Candidates.
• Responsibilities of a First Aider;
• Recording of incidents and use of available equipment;
• Emergency Action plan, primary & secondary survey, airway management
• Dealing with an unconscious casualty (including seizure);
• Defibrillation protocols (theory) ILCOR 2010
• Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation; AED descriptions and usage
• Treatment of Minor Injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises);
• Dealing with blood loss and the treatment of Shock;
• Bandages, dressing and minor bleeds
• Minor burns and scalds;
• Two additional First Aid injury/illness topics can be added to this course (employer specific) **
Trainer contact hours: 6 hours minimum including assessments but excluding any lunch/refreshment breaks.
Completion time scale: Normally 1 day but may be run over a period not exceeding 4 weeks, where each session lasts at least 2 hours.
Certification: Emergency First Aid at Work Certificate. (FAIB)
Renewal: Valid for three years.
** This basic course is suitable for the majority of workplaces, however HSE have given employers more freedom to select First Aid training appropriate to the nature of individual businesses. All courses stating CPR also include child CPR as standard.