Target Group: All levels of staff.
Pre-Course requirements: None.
Assessment: Multiple Choice Question Paper.
Trainer Ratio: 1 trainer to 12 candidates
Course Outline: Provides participants with an understanding of hazards and controls related to manual handling.
• (i) Reasons for safer manual handling
• Potential injuries and ill health associated with incorrect manual handling
• The employers and employees responsibilities relating to manual handling at work
• The consequenses for non-compliance with health & safety requirements at work
• (ii) How manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health & safety
• Define the terms ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’ in the context of manual handling work
• The steps related to undertaking a manual handling risk assessment
• Appropriate risk controls for common manual handling hazards
• (iii) Principles, types of equipment and testing requirments associated with manual handling safety
• Safe movement principles associated with manual handling
• Appropriate equipment to be used for manual handling tasks
• Requirements for the testing, servicing and examination of manual handling and lifting equipment
• (iv) Be able to apply safer manual handling principles
• Demonstrate efficient and safe manual handling principles when;
– applying effort to, or moving a load or object manually on their own
– using manual handling aids and equipment
– undertaking a manual handling task as part of a team
Trainer contact hours: 6 hours.
Certification: L2 Manual Handling Loads at Work (QNUK)